One of the most overlooked part of your makeup is actually the most important one; brushes. Makeup brushes are to makeup artists, what racquets are to tennis players. Unfortunately, there is not a ton of information out there, and although it might look like an easy task, choosing the right brushes for your makeup can guarantee better results!
Whether you’re a makeup guru, or just starting your makeup journey, there are certain basic brushes that should be the foundation of your makeup kit. These must include a foundation brush, a concealer brush, a powder brush, an eyeshadow blending brush, and an eye shadow flat brush.
Different types of brushes:
There is a large variety of shapes and sizes in makeup brushes. These could be angular, round and fan-shaped.
- Angular Brushes: These makeup brushes can be used for different parts of the face. Depending on its size, these are ideal for contouring the nose, forehead and chin.
- Rounded Brushes: These are perfect for applying blush and powders.
- Fan-shaped Brushes: Ideal for highlighting. These brushes are also great for taking off product excess.
Most brushes may look similar, but in reality each brush has a different function.
Brushes to use by product:
- Powders: Look for brushes that are soft, bigger in size, and round. Rounded brushes are best for powders because they distribute the product evenly.
- Foundation: Look for brushes that are straight with dense bristles.
- Contouring: The best way to contour your face is using angled brushes.
- Blush: Look for brushes with rounded tips. These will help blend evenly.
- Concealer: Look for brushes with a small, flat tip. This is key to evenly distribute product and fix imperfections.
Brushes to use by area:
- Eyelashes and Eyebrows: Use a spoolie that can help comb your eyebrows. These spoolies can also be used for mascara application.
- Eyes: These brushes are long and flat with high density bristles.
- Lips: Sculpted brushes are ideal for a creating a precise lip liner. Bristles should be short and firm for a controlled application.
Make sure you visit our TOOLS & BRUSHES section on our website!
Until next time,